For this project, we want to deepen our understanding of design and interpretation. How has the past or a different setting been interpreted through the lens of costume design? And how do designers work in different mediums to create works that are grounded in a particular time and place, work within a particular medium, and also invite the contemporary audience to connect with and interpret what is being expressed through the medium?
- -What work are we interested in grounding our research in?
- -What time period/place is this work set in?
- -What time period/place is this work created for? (A work with multiple adaptations may provide interesting insight through design, but is not necessary)
- -What is the 'role' of the designer in this medium? How are costumes supposed to work with other technical elements of the medium?
- -What would someone of the time/place of the work's audience know about the time/place of the work's setting? What expectations might there be based in historical knowledge or the style/tone of the work?