You must be logged in to the GSS Data Explorer to complete these steps.
- Near the top right of the page, locate the orange drop down menu that says “Actions” and choose the “Analyze Data”
- On the Analysis screen, choose “Cross Tabulation” and click next.
- On the Build Analysis screen, you will choose and add your variables. GSS Year should always be in the Column Variable box (drag the box from the right hand sidebar to the box) and the subject variable should be in the Row Variable box.
- Click the “exclude missing values” button near the bottom of page.
- Click “Create Analysis” at the bottom of the page.
- On the page displaying your cross tabulation, look for the gray box near the center of the page that says “Display Options.” Click on this and change the selection in the Show drop-down menu to Column percent, and in the Number of Decimal Places menu, choose 1, then click apply.
- You can click “Export” in the center of the screen to export the results as an Excel file.
- To run a new data analysis, click “Analyses” in the breadcrumb trail near the top of the page. (If that does not work, use your browser’s back button to navigate back to the previous page.)