Skip to Main Content

Scholarly Communication: What resources are available to pay for open access publishing?

The Scholarly Communications committee provides Bucknell’s faculty scholars with customized information, education, and guidance as well as the technical resources and support services needed throughout all steps of the scholarly communications process.


Article Processing Charges can be quite expensive, especially for work published in high-impact journals.

Individual grants may provide funds for covering APCs, particularly if the grant requires open access publishing. When working with the Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP), you will be encouraged to identify potential publication costs to include in your grant application.

At Bucknell, tenure-track faculty can apply for a Publication Subvention Grant through the Office of the Provost to publish open access work. See the grant application for additional requirements and information. We are happy to work with you to discuss your options, like identifying an appropriate Diamond OA journal or publishing in a subscription-funded journal and pursuing Green OA. 

The Open Access Directory maintains a list of potential funding resources to cover APCs when publishing gold OA. These come from universities or other types of institutions.